Frequently Asked Questions

The JSU Financial Aid Office will contact you regarding your financial aid through your MyJSU Email Account. Please check your email regularly for up-to-date information.

  • Student Account
  • Payment Plan Information
  • Unofficial Transcript
  • Class Schedule
  • Register, drop and/or add a class
  • Financial Aid Information including requirements, award offer, and Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress standing.

1. Apply for an FSA ID (user name and password) for the student and the parent at 


2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using JSU's School code (001020) at for the correct academic year. For additional helpful hints on completing the FAFSA, click on the FSA Youtube Channel. Example: 2018-19 FAFSA for Fall 2018, Spring 2019 and Summer 2019; 2019-20 FAFSA for Fall 2019, Spring 2020 and Summer 2020.

3. Once JSU receives the FAFSA, an email will be sent to your JSU GEM Outlook 365 Email explaining what you will need to do to view your status on MyJSU or you may view your status on MyJSU (see information below on how to log in and view information on MyJSU.) 

What happens next…

1. When your file is complete and eligibility has been determined, you will be offered the maximum amount of federal financial aid (including federal Pell grant and loans) for which you are eligible at the time of award. 

2. You will be notified via MyJSU and/or your JSU Email of an award to accept or decline your award offer on MyJSU.

Login to MyJSU 

2. Click Self Service Banner on the left side of the screen beneath "Featured Links."

3. Click "Student and Financial Aid."

4. Click "Financial Aid."

5. Click "Financial Aid Status."

6. Click on the status that you wish to view. For example, if you have requirements that need to be completed, your status will allow you to click on "unsatisfied requirements." If you want to know your Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Status. you can click on your "Satisfactory Academic Progress Status."

  • Login to MyJSU.
  • Click Self Service Banner on the left side of the screen beneath "Featured Links."
  • Click "Student and Financial Aid."
  • Click "Financial Aid."
  • Click "Award Information."
  • Click "Award for Aid Year," then select correct academic year and click "Submit."
  • Click "Award Overview Tab."

  •  Login to MyJSU 
  •  Click Self Service Banner on the left side of the screen beneath "Featured Links."
  •  Click "Student and Financial Aid."
  •  Click "Financial Aid."
  •  Click "Award Information."
  •  The General Information Tab will appear.
  •  Please read the important information and review the links on the General Information Tab.
  •  Click "Accept Award Offer" Tab.
  •  Follow the directions on the page to Review and Accept or Decrease the Loans.

  • Go to
  • If you are pursuing a Bachelor's degree, select "Undergraduate Students". If you are pursuing a graduate level degree, select "Graduate/Professional Students"
  • Click "Complete Loan Agreement for Subsidized/Unsubsidized MPN"
  • View the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
  • Disable pop-ups before you begin.

The Parent PLUS loan application should be completed by a parent that is on the current FAFSA.

  • Online at
  • Select "Parent Borrowers"
  • Select "Apply for a PLUS Loan"
  • Parents will need to sign in using their FSA ID


  • Go to
  • Click "Graduate Professional Students"
  • Click "Apply for a PLUS Loan"
  • Disable pop ups before you begin.  

*Student will need to review MyJSU for an aid offer (additional documentation may be needed).

You must have an approved/awarded Graduate PLUS Loan before you may complete a Graduate PLUS MPN. 

  • Go to
  • Disable pop ups before you begin.
  • Select "Graduate/Professional Students" 
  • Select "Complete Loan Agreement for PLUS Loan (MPN)"

If you would like to review a historical list of private loan lenders to JSU students, you may visit FASTCHOICE.  Another way to locate alternative lenders is to do an internet search for "private student loans." Our office cannot suggest or recommend an alternative lender. The lender that you choose must send your certification via ELM (Education Loan Management, Inc.). Under the federal Truth in Lending Act (TILA), lenders are required to supply you with a finalized disclosure statement (stating the terms and conditions of your loan), a self-certification form, and a three-day right to cancel.

You must complete and sign the Self-Certification Form and send it to your lender. Always check to see if you can e-sign this form on your lender's web site.

Dependent on the private lender, a student may be required to be enrolled in at least half-time status and/or meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress to be eligible.

Lenders WILL verify your information with JSU via an electronic school certification request via ELM or other electronic communication.

It is important to note that you cannot receive more financial aid funds (including loans) than your Cost of Attendance, regardless of the source of those funds. The Cost of Attendance is listed below under "What is my Cost of Attendance?" 

Yes, as long as the total loan amount has not already been disbursed.  You may contact the Financial Aid Office at 256-782-5006 or by email at to request the necessary form to make this change.

If your financial aid has been suspended due to you not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements, you may file a Financial Aid Appeal. Appeals may only be granted if there are documented extenuating circumstances that caused you to fall below the minimum requirements.

  1. Log into MyJSU ( using your username and password
  2. Click on Self Service Banner
  3. Click on Student and Financial Aid
  4. Click on Financial Aid
  5. Click on Eligibility
  6. Click on Student Requirements
  7. You may be prompted to confirm your information (exactly as it appears on your FAFSA).*
  8. Once your information is confirmed, you will be able to select "Request Appeal" button in the top, right corner of the screen.
*Please note that to be able to file a Financial Aid Appeal, you must have a FAFSA on file for the year you are appealing for. Example: If you are appealing to receive aid in Fall 2019, you will need to have a 2019-2020 FAFSA on file with JSU.

To withdraw from JSU, students must complete the Withdrawal Form provided by the Registrar's Office. The date of the withdrawal will normally be the date the form is completed. If a student stops completing academic related activity, a student may be considered to be unofficially withdrawn. In cases of an unofficial withdrawal, the date of withdrawal will be the midpoint of the term or the last date of academic related activity, whichever benefits the student.  

Please see 'Federal Return to Title IV Policy' concerning how this affects your financial aid.

If you receive Federal Title IV aid (Pell Grants, Federal Direct Student Loans, Federal Direct PLUS Loans, TEACH Grants, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grants, etc) and withdraw or stop attending classes, JSU will calculate the amount of aid you did not earn. If it is determined that you received aid you did not earn, the funds will be returned to the appropriate Title IV program(s).

You have only earned the percentage of aid that reflects the percentage of the term you attended. For example, if you complete 25% of the semester, you earned 25% of the Title IV aid you were eligible for during the term of attendance. If you attend more than 60% of the term you will not owe a refund.

If you receive excess aid for the term attended, JSU must return the unearned portion. You may then be held accountable for paying this amount to JSU.

If JSU is not required to return the entire amount, you must repay the remaining amount to the appropriate Title IV program(s).

* The Federal Direct Student Loans/PLUS Loans you may have borrowed will be repaid according to the terms of the original promissory note.

* You will only be responsible for overpayment of unearned grants as determined by the Us Department of Education Return to Title IV Funds Calculation. A student who owes an overpayment will not be eligible for additional Title IV aid until the overpayment has been resolved.

Withdrawing and not completing coursework with a passing final grade will directly affect your Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress. Failure to meet this policy will result in suspension of future financial aid. This policy may be viewed by clicking the Forms tab and Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for the year that you are attending or on MyJSU under Financial Aid Status.

View JSU's Refund Policy

View JSU's Withdrawal Policy

This is an estimate of how much money may be required to attend school for one semester and/ or academic year at that college, including all reasonable expenses. Most people, when budgeting for college, look at the tuition and assume that tuition is more or less the "price tag" for that school; the reality is that tuition may be as little as 50% of the overall budget.  

More General Information on Cost of Attendance at

Counties of Bartow, Carroll, Chattooga, Coweta, Douglas, Floyd, Haralson, Heard, Paulding or Polk in the State of Georgia allow a student in-state tuition with the submission of a request form in the Registrar's Office (link provided below). Students who reside in these counties will be able to note this on their admissions application and will not be required to complete the Residency Request Form.

Residence Reclassification for In-State Tuition Request

  • 1. Login to MyJSU.
  • 2. Click "View Student Account/Make Payment."
  • 3. Click "Recent Activity."

  • Please review the steps to study abroad information.
  • Visit or contact the JSU Office of Financial Aid for your specific financial aid information and study abroad program.
  • To be eligible for federal student aid at JSU for study abroad:
    • your coursework must be part of your financial aid eligible program,
    • be approved for credit,
    • shown as enrollment, and
    • meet all other federal student aid eligibility requirements and guidelines.